The Intuit QuickBooks software was created to assist small and medium-sized companies in managing sales and inventory.
Sometimes QuickBooks can become stuck and prevent users from working efficiently. In these cases, the File Doctor app from Intuit can be of great assistance. However, sometimes the utility may encounter issues such as the “File Doctor stopped working” error. Let’s learn why this happens and how we can fix it.
What is the “File Doctor stopped functioning” error?
QuickBooks File Doctor software is a combination of older versions and the “QuickBooks 2014 R4” program. Sometimes quickbooks file doctor stops working, crashes hangs, or displays an exception. File Doctor will throw an exception if such an event occurs.
These are common reasons this utility might not work correctly:
- You are trying to access the incorporated folder.
- It fails to restore files.
- Make sure to update the files.
- If you try to convert an older company file, a network error may occur.
- Some files may be lost during the QuickBooks installation process.
- File corruption, loss, or damage will indicate an error.
To fix the problem, you must correct the QBW files.
Here are some possible solutions:-
Solution 1: Manually launch QuickBooks File Doctor
Sometimes, the problem could be caused by an issue with the launch command’s receiving end.
- Wait for the screen to show “No Company Open” before you close the application.
- Go to File-> Utility-> Repair Files and Network Problems.
- In the dialog box, click on OK. The QuickBooks file doctor will restart your application if you have administrator rights.
- In the dialog box, click Yes.
- Click the wrench icon to open QuickBooks File Doctor and then click Continue.
- Enter your credentials to log in to your file. Your file will be repaired by the QuickBooks file doctor.
- From the Advanced Settings menu, select ‘File Diagnosis Only’.
- Click Next.
- After you’ve completed the prompts, you can open your file to check for any problems.
If that fails, try the next method.
Also Read- quickbooks connection diagnostic tool
Solution 2: Fix the backup of the corrupted QBW file
Sometimes QuickBooks file doctor does not launch automatically.
- Backups should be made for any files that are damaged. Backups can be used to replace corrupt files with ones that have been saved.
- Click on “File” and then “Open or Restore Company” to open or restore a QuickBooks company.
- Click the button that reads “Click Open or Restore a Backup Copy”, then clicks “Next”.
- Click the “Next” button to select “Local backup”.
- You will see a drop-down menu where you can select where to save the backup file.
- Click on the file that has the extension “.QBB” to open it. Next, click on “Open” or “Next”.
- You can select the location you wish to restore the files using the drop-down menu.
- In the name field, you must enter the file name. A “Save as” field will appear automatically when you enter “*.QBW”.
- Click the “Save” button to complete the restoration process.
Note: You can choose to have your data recovered automatically if the previous steps fail.
Solution 3: Use auto data recovery
Quickly, QuickBooks files can automatically be analyzed using the ADR (Auto Data Recovery) within a few hours. Backups are kept for 12 hours/24hrs, or as long as QuickBooks is open.